lastalive0.dat lastalive1.dat
warder
2007-02-02 21:50:00 UTC

I have something writing to the hard drive once every minute or so. I'm
assuming this is preventing my laptop hard disk from sleeping when off power.

It writes to 2 files, flipping between them: lastalive0.dat lastalive1.dat

The process is svchost.exe.

The files are in:

c:\windows\serviceprofiles\localservice\appdata\local\lastaliveX.dat

The stack trace (according to sysinternals process monitor) is:

0 fltmgr.sys FltRequestOperationStatusCallback +
0xd25 0x8073f843 C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
1 fltmgr.sys FltGetIrpName +
0x774 0x80741f10 C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
2 fltmgr.sys FltGetIrpName +
0x104f 0x807427eb C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
3 fltmgr.sys FltGetIrpName +
0x146b 0x80742c07 C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
4 ntkrnlpa.exe IofCallDriver +
0x64 0x81c27ecf C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
5 ntkrnlpa.exe IoIsFileObjectIgnoringSharing +
0x344d 0x81d88f65 C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
6 ntkrnlpa.exe NtWriteFile + 0x725 0x81d94358 C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
7 ntkrnlpa.exe KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel +
0xba2 0x81c8c96a C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
8 ntdll.dll ZwWriteFile + 0xc 0x77dd06d0 C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
9 wevtsvc.dll ServiceMain + 0xce12 0x74b4809d c:\windows\system32\wevtsvc.dll
10 wevtsvc.dll ServiceMain + 0xcbf9 0x74b47e84 c:\windows\system32\wevtsvc.dll
11 kernel32.dll BaseThreadInitThunk +
0x12 0x77913833 C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll
12 ntdll.dll LdrInitializeThunk +
0x4d 0x77daa9bd C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

Is this a known issue?

D.
pcfountain
2008-02-14 03:26:05 UTC
I am seeing the exact same thing. It's starting to tick me off a little
bit. My monitor won't go into sleep mode. My hard drive was constantly
trying to spin down every 3-4 minutes, only to spin back up again. I
shut off the hard drive sleep option, which fixed that problem, but
something is still happening ... if I watch my computer while it's idle,
the IDE light flickers exactly every second. Tick, tick, tick, I can
even time my watch by it. It sits there doing this all the time when
the machine is idle. I have turned off indexing, system restore, my
page file (!), windows firewall, and every other unnecessary service I
can think of. And yet it continues. I have tried installing the SP1
release candidate, didn't make a bit of difference for any of these
problems. Screenshot below of my resource monitor, this is after I wait
several minutes for all activity to stop on the drive:

[image: Loading Image...]
pcfountain
pollcut
2008-03-29 15:26:59 UTC
i've tried to shutdwon all proceses and services(no explore
nothing,except of the ones those provoke a blue screen or a reboot)
running procmon also shows only svchosts.exe creating lastalive file
1 and 0 to infinity..............every second an that on total idl
pc,that is really buging me, especially when i am in a quit enviromen
like a library or writing some stuff, my pc is a dell xps 1530 notebook

--
pollcu
voitek
2009-12-29 11:23:37 UTC
By default, pretty much all systems after Windows 2000 write a tim
stamp every five minutes to the registry, which is what keeps you
harddrive from staying asleep. I see no use for it on systems tha
arean't servers, and certainly not on laptops, which could benefit fro
a sleeping hard drive in terms of increased battery life.

To change the interval setting, modify TimeStampInterval in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Reliability

Setting it to zero turns off timestamp logging, only bootup an
shutdown timestamps will be logged. The setting is expressed in a numbe
of minutes

--
voite
voitek's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/168606.ht